This is the second of a three-part series. Please note that when I speak of ingesting an essential oil, I am talking about ingesting only Young Living essential oils. I would never recommend any other brand of essential oil. If you would like to read Part I please check it out here.
Peppermint – I love this oil! It is hard to pick favorites but if I had to, peppermint would be in my top ten. It is one of my first-aid oils so I always have some on hand. One drop of peppermint oil is equal to 28 cups of peppermint tea! Essential oils are so concentrated, which is why one drop can be so effective. For more information on how peppermint oil has been shown to reduce the symptons of I.B.S see this post. Studies have also shown that by smelling peppermint you will feel more satiated after a meal. Smelling peppermint will also help to soothe any feelings of nausea.
- In water. One drop (seriously, that is all you need) in a 32 oz bottle of water. I keep used glass juice bottles around and use them to keep oil flavored waters on hand. Peppermint is my favorite flavor for water. It cools in the summer, soothes upset stomachs quickly and tastes sooooooo good.
- Fever reducer. When my son awoke in the middle of the night uncomfortable with a fever he said no to medicine but yes to oils. I put 1-2 drops of peppermint oil on each foot and in less than 10 minutes his fever was dropping and he was able to get back to sleep (and so did I!).
- One drop in your hand , rub hands together and inhale deeply….aaahhhhhhhhh! Helps with sinus troubles and can also help with mental clarity and focus.
- A drop across the brow can alleviate headaches. Why use an oil over headache meds? Oils work faster. Really. Way faster. It’s very cool.
Peace & Calming – This is the oil that really got me started on Young Living. My kids were having a hard time settling down at night and I was in need of some help. My mother (aren’t mothers the best?) gave me a bottle of Peace & Calming. Honestly, this was not my favorite scent (I do love it now) but reluctantly I gave it a try. Long story short, after witnessing a miracle ( yes, it was!) when my kids finally fell asleep, I ran to my computer to see if I could order a vat of this stuff.
- Peace & Calming. Knocks. Me. Out. If I can’t sleep or have a chatty mind at bedtime, a drop on my neck or wrists or even on my feet will do the trick. My kids love this oil (it was made for kids) and they drift off to sleep much faster when we use it.
- Eases anxiety and can be used if you are stressed.
- Can soothe cranky or hyper children. I have seen my kids go from cranky to calm with just a drop or two. If you have young kids you want this oil. It’s amazing!
PanAway - Rocks! If you have any pain, this is an oil that you want. It is a blend that has wintergreen, helichrysum, clove and peppermint. What do these oils do? They will help reduce pain and inflammation, increase circulation and accelerate healing. They will relieve swelling and discomfort from arthritis, sprains, and muscles spasms. The two main ingredients in Bengay are methyl salicylate, which is wintergreen, and menthol, which is synthetic peppermint oil. So why use the diluted, synthetic version for pain relief when you can use the pure undiluted essential oil? Yeah, I have no idea why you would want to either.
- Apply directly on area of pain – it doesn’t get much easier than that. If you have sore muscles, sciatica,arthritis or any kind of muscle or ligament pain. Apply liberally.
- Use across the brow or on the temples for headache relief.
- Can also be used on pets to reduce arthritic pain.
Of course, these are just a few suggestions for what to do with these oils. You can use Young Living oils in so many different ways, everyday. Part of the fun is finding out what the oils can do for you.
Part III will be coming soon. I would LOVE to hear how you use your favorite essential oils (hint, hint – some feedback please!)
Can’t wait to get started using Young Living Oils? Great! See my “How to Order Young Living Oils” page for more details.
Francine Smith blogs about Young Living Essential oils. You can find more posts at http://www.younglivinglife.wordpress.com